Sunday, November 04, 2007

NEMO Triathlon 9/9/07


So here I am coming up on the finish line at the NEMO triathlon. And in case you were wondering I am not so far ahead of everyone that no one else is in the picture ... quite the opposite actually.
The race was on 9/9/2007 but I am just now getting around to the post.

The race was a 3/4 mile swim, 18 mile bike ride and a 5 mile run.
My total time was 2:06:25 which was 92nd over all, 53rd amongst males, and 8th in my age division (25-29).
Swim split = 25:45 (Modifed Side Stroke almost the whole way ... wasn't in good enough shape to crawl it)
Bike split = 58:12
Run split = 42:28 (yes, this is the equivalent of what my 2 year old can run).

To any of my wrestling buddies who come across this post ... don't laugh. Considering the training that I did to prepare for this I am not completely ashamed of the results (close ... but not quite). In the 3-4 months prior to this race my training consisted of the following: 1 X 18 mile bike ride, 5 X Bike to YMCA (4 miles) ... swim for 20-25 minutes ... Bike home (4 miles), run a total of maybe 3-5 miles. So I pretty much just wanted to survive and get a feel for the flow of the triathlon.

Next year, I want to compete. I want to be in the top three of my age group which means I need to finish between 1 hour 33 minutes and 1 hour 40 minutes which means knocking off 26 to 33 minutes of my time. Time will tell. Check out the race at http://www.nemotriathlon.org/.

One last note (shameful for me ... great for him) ... I met a guy before the race who looked familiar. It was Damon Motley ... and offensive lineman who graduated from Fort Osage High School in 1997 (I was a 99 grad). I was a quarterback, receiver, defensive back, wrestled and ran track (400m, 800m) . He beat me by 16 minutes. A lineman vs a QB/receiver/d-back. I hope coach Litchfield never finds out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Corey -
You look great!!! We can't wait until you come up next year to compete again. What a treat for us to get to see you and your special family!