Friday, August 15, 2008

4th of July--A Drawing


Please click on the picture to enlarge and see the details.
Abigail and I had some time together tonight, just the two of us. Daddy was away at a party (which nearly broke Abby's heart, because she REALLY wanted to go with him) and Luke was in bed. I asked her what she wanted to do and she said, very excitedly, "I want to draw a cow togedder on da 'puter scream." (Translation: "I want to draw a cow together on the computer screen.") So, after reading a book together, we sat down in the big chair at our computer desk. She was sitting on my lap, leaning her elbow on the desk and sucking her right thumb. My job was to paint. However, I was not permitted to use any of my own artistic judgment, she directed every stroke and design. (Gracious, I hope you don't think that if I had my choice, the one thing I would want to draw is a mother cow with large teets and a baby cow happily attached, nursing.)
So, Abby suggested drawing a cow, and as I thought might happen, she wanted a baby nursing. After that, when asked what else she wanted, she replied that she wanted fireworks (of course), then a barn (kind of my idea), flowers, stars, grass coming out of the mommy's mouth, an open mouth on the mom. And, finally, she wanted me to make sure that it looked like the baby was nursing. We had to redo that shot a couple of times. There were numerous bouts of deep belly laughter on her part, when I made a mistake (like dyed the whole cow pink, on accident), and I was grinning like a fool most of the time, enjoying our time together. So, I guess the moral of this story is: I will have to draw some pretty crazy things in my future with my daughter, but if that's what it takes to have great quality time together, bring it on!

No comments: