Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Ex Mex Comments

See my review and comments here

I have included the first section below.

Ex Mex From Migrants to Immigrants by Jorge G. Castaneda

isbn 9781595581631


Comments by Corey Crandall


Overall Comments

I found this book while browsing the new release section in the Mid-Continent Public Library of Blue Springs, MO and picked it up on a whim because I am interested in the immigration issues facing the United States.
This book provides a good veiw point from the former Minister of Foreign Relations for Mexico (Jorge G. Castaneda). Overall I feel this book provides a good framework for the immigration issues facing Mexico and the US. The last chapter summarizes Castaneda's advice on solutions to the problem. I find myself agreeing with most of his comprehensive solution presented in the last chapter. This solution involves responsibilities for both the US and Mexico.
I read this book with as much of an open mind as possible as I guessed there would probably be statements, facts, and opinions that I didn't neccesarily agree with. My mindset before reading the book was that illegal immigration is unacceptable, amnesty is unacceptable, rounding up and deporting the unathorized immigrants is difficult to the point of improbability, and I recognize that immigration has contributed (in fact, founded) to the US and is necessary. But that SOMETHING must be done. My views here would probably put me in Castaneda's right wing republican group, whom he is not shy about criticizing.
After reading this book, I hold much of the same opinion although framed within a much more informed context. Some of the problem lies in the definition of the terms. I don't want to provide amnesty to the illegal (unauthorized) immigrants but I am open to allowing a path to citizenship for those already in the country and/or providing a temporary worker program to those already in the country ... BUT WITH PENALTIES as described in the last chapter. This would have been my view point before the book as well but I am not sure if amnesty means the same thing to everyone. That type of refinement on the presentation of my opinions is one of the great things I found in this book.
One particular point that frustrates me is that I feel the real issues are not the subject of the debate. I feel like leaders in the United States and Mexico are not doing a good job of talking about the real issues because it might be political suicide even though the facts are what will really shed light into solving the problem.
This book has broadened my knowledge of the topic and given insight into the situation from a political, economic, and historical point of view. I highly recommend it.

No comments: