Saturday, March 01, 2008

W Day

Not W as in George "dubbya" Bush day ... although I like the guy. It is W as in Wisdom teeth day. Yesterday, Friday the 29th at 10:30 AM, I had 4 wisdom teeth removed (3 were impacted). Miriam drove me to the oral surgeon's office (my Dad watched the kids ... thanks dad) and I was in a good mood. I figured being grumpy about getting my teeth cut out wasn't going to help anything so I thought I would just make the best of it. And apparently the staff there isn't used to people being in a good mood because I got some surprised looks at my jovial attitude. I had anesthesia and apparently, I was a little goofy coming to. I don't remember much and Miriam may do a posting later that relates some of my good nature.

Some of the things I do remember: I thought they cut my tongue out; I was smiling like an idiot; I told the nurse I didn't need the wheel chair (apparently I lost that argument); As I was being wheeled out I saw a Latino man sitting on a bench to whom I said in a somewhat slurred voice, "Whuz up my brutha?" When we got in the car, Miriam said, "Why did you say that to that guy, do you even know him?" I replied, "He's a fellow dental patient ... we gotta stick together."

Upon arriving home at about 1:00 PM, I was becoming more aware of my surroundings ... particularly the fact that my tongue felt like a ... well ... I am not quite sure how to describe it. It was completely numb. Miriam tried to get me to take some ibuprofen but I couldn't swallow that darn pill. My tongue just wouldn't work. I was drooling half the water I was trying to drink and I told Miriam that I felt fine enough and I didn't want to jack with trying to take anything but water (already 2 failed pill attemtps).

Miriam had to take Luke to the doctor at 1:30 PM and so my Grandma Mary stayed to help with Abby while I napped. I drool-bled a little on the towel I was laying on but felt OK when Miriam woke me up about 5 PM. I really felt good. The only thing was that my tongue was still numb and so was some of my mouth. I tried to eat some rice pudding stuff but that wasn't happening with the numbness.

It was a nice afternoon and I wasn't feeling bad so we took a walk down to the elementary school and Abby played for about an hour. We then stopped by our friends Jeff and Terra's house and hung out for another hour. By this time my tongue was starting to feel more like a tongue than a blob of gauze and by the time we got home I had some apple sauce and was a very happy man.

I took my percocet (pain med) at about 9 PM and went to bed. Abby woke up at about 4:30 AM and surprisingly I was feeling up to the task of taking her downstairs and feeding her. My mouth didn't hurt but I got Abby some food, got whipped by the computer in chess (I am like 0-30 against the computer ... and I thought I was a decent player). I put Abby to bed and just stayed up the rest of the morning catching up on some stuff.

To make a much longer story very short. It is now 11:05 PM on Saturday night and I am still feeling good with no swelling or bruising. That could all change tomorrow, but so far things have been good (thank God). I was up and about almost all day (mopping, cleaning, taking care of kids, the usual). Getting pretty tired though so ...

Enjoy the video below Miriam took after we got home from the surgeon. I was still a little out of it and Abby helps me to remember an anatomy lesson.

No comments: